Eat Your Way to a Younger You
While aging is a natural progression of the life process, you wouldn’t want to appear ancient before your time. This is why beauty products that boast of anti-aging properties are so popular in the market. Women clamor for such products and manufacturing companies spend a fortune on research, just so that they could slow down aging.
But potions and lotions alone cannot combat premature aging.
Antioxidants vs. Free radicals
Free radicals hasten the aging process. Free radicals are by-products of your body’s processes which when present in excessive amounts can cause a chain reaction that can do much damage to your body. Such damages that the free radicals wreak on cell membranes cause the cells to function poorly or die altogether.
Antioxidants counteract the damages wrought by the free radicals. Antioxidants disrupt the domino effect before significant damage can occur. However, your body cannot manufacture majority of the antioxidants it needs so it has to be supplied by your diet.
The principal antioxidants are vitamins E and C as well as beta-carotene. You need to include food groups rich in these nutrients in your daily meals if you are indeed serious in fighting skin aging. Read on to know which food groups are rich in antioxidants and how they can help slow down the aging process.
6 foods that make you younger
- Turmeric, a bright yellow spice usually grown in the tropical areas of Asia, is an antioxidant that helps fight the free radicals that causes skin inflammation as well as the fine lines and wrinkles on your face. No one wants to look older than their age. Sprinkle turmeric on your curries and sauces and include these dishes in your diet plan.
- Salmon steaks, anyone? Salmon is a rich source of the essential fatty acid, omega-3. Salmon is known to enhance the body’s immune system and believed to be helpful in fighting skin cancer because of its high Omega 3 content. Omega-3 fatty acids are one of the healthy fats that form a barrier against cell-damaging free radicals.
- Make the bells peal your way to a youthful you. Green, red and yellow bell peppers are rich in vitamin C, a known antioxidant that fights the free radicals in your body. Vitamin C also boosts your immune system, helping you combat infections such as coughs and colds. It also helps you maintain a healthy set of teeth.
- Fruits such as berries, grapes, kiwi and oranges are rich in antioxidants that help absorb the free radicals in the body.
- Be as nutty as you want with pecans, walnuts and Brazil nuts. These nuts pack a mean punch of antioxidants which can help in cell renewal. Grab a handful when you are feeling hungry or toss them with your salad.
- Argan oil, a natural oil pressed from the nuts of the Moroccan Argan tree is rich in Carotenoids, Polyphenols, Ferulic acid, Squalene and Vitamin E which are powerful antioxidants. Use Argan oil mixed with lemon juice for a delightfully delicious salad dressing. Drizzle this oil over pasta and grilled dishes or pan-fry sea bass for a mouth-watering and healthy dish.
Say hello to a smoother, healthier and younger skin by including the right food groups in your daily meals.
Filed Under: Argan & Anti-Aging