Teenage Acne: Here’s How To Prevent Breakouts and Clear Them Up Fast
Teenagers are actually one of the most avid supporters of regular skin care. This is because they are confronted with a host of skin problems due to hormonal changes and extreme lifestyles. But sometimes it feels as if it is very hard to take care of the skin especially when they find a big pimple staring back at them from the mirror. It can be very embarrassing to face classmates and friends when you are not confident with your looks.
Why are teenagers beset with acne?
Teenagers with oily skin tend to suffer most from acne. Hormonal surges cause an increase in your skin’s oil (also called sebum) production. The excess sebum clogs your pores and this causes all types of acne (blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, and cysts) to develop. The excess oil does more than clog pores. The bacteria that live on the excess oil thrive and increase in population, causing the pores to become inflamed and cause the pimple to look red, swollen and angry.
How to care for acne prone skin
Teenagers can prevent acne breakouts and reduce damage to their skin with proper skin care and good hygiene practices. Here are some tips for you to follow.
- Wash your face at least twice a day with warm water and mild cleanser. Soaps intended for acne prone skin are commercially available. Just make sure to choose a product that is suitable for your skin type.
- Avoid scrubbing your face and washing too often. This can lead to further irritation of your skin and may actually worsen your acne.
- Remove all traces of makeup before going to bed.
- Don’t pop zits and pimples. Aside from irritating your skin, it can push the infected part further inside your skin leading to more swelling, infection and possible scarring.
- Avoid touching your face with your hands. Hands are the major carriers of bacteria which can cause pores to become infected.
- If you have acne on your body (e.g. shoulders, back, chest), avoid wearing tight clothes that can rub against your skin. Wear loose clothing to allow your skin to breathe.
- Keep hair clean and off your face.
- Apply sunscreen before going out. A tan can worsen your acne. In addition, the sun’s harmful UV rays can cause wrinkles and increase the risk for skin cancer.
- Keep your skin moisturized with light, non-comedogenic products. Argan oil is one such product that can help you get rid of acne. This oil from Morocco has properties that help regulate the production of sebum in your body. It also has anti-inflammatory capabilities that can help soothe acne and bring down redness and swelling. Argan oil is packed with nutrients such as essential fatty acids, vitamin E and antioxidants that help nurture skin by drying out acne faster and reducing the chances of getting scars.
Teenagers suffering from acne can develop low self-esteem, anxiety, depression and can even discourage them from pursuing their dreams. Change all of these when you prevent and control acne breakouts with these skin care tips.
- How Can Argan Oil Help Prevent Acne?
- Skin Care Tips for Acne Prevention and Cure
- Avoid Getting the Title of Ms Acne Scars!
- 5 Easy and Effective Ways to Get Rid of Acne
- Caring for the Skin 101 – Teen Edition
Filed Under: Argan & Acné